Norrie Gillies reveals
Part of the vast crowd at Inverness Highland Games.
The location may not be to everyone's fancy, but this did not stop our enthusiasts from enjoying the quality piping laid on by our competitors.
Results are up, plus photographs >>>
Gairloch Iain Dall Young Pipers Festival 2014
Background news just in from Gairloch plus rules and prize money. Read more >>>
The late Finlay MacRae, M.B.E.,then aged 84, giving the pipes a good blaw... taken in 2007, at the location for the Pipe Major Willie Ross Cairn at Ardchuilk in Glen Strathfarrar.
Read this obituary >>>
The Society elected the following office bearers for 2014:
President: Euan MacCrimmon
Vice President: Brian Yates
Secretary: Alastair Campbell
Treasurer: Donald Smith
6 August 2014
Date for the next meeting
Then meet again on 20th August
The Society meet on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month in The British Legion Club, Huntly Street, Inverness. Come around 7.30 for 8.00pm.
Highland Military Tattoo in Fort George
The Highland Military Tattoo will take place at Fort George, near Inverness from 5th to 7th September.
Seventeen year old Sandy Cameron from Roy Bridge will be the 'Lone Piper' at the Highland Military Tattoo.
Sandy won the Under 18 Piobaireachd and also the March, Strathspey and Reel Competitions at The Northern Meeting Piping Competitions in Inverness 2013.
Detailed planning is already underway for this new addition to the Highland tourism calendar, which will be the largest military tattoo outside of Edinburgh. More than six thousand people are expected to attend the tattoo which will run for three nights.
Nine Pipe bands in new Military Tattoo at Fort George
• RRS Military Band. This is the Military Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland. It is based in Edinburgh, is 45 strong.
• 3 SCOTS Pipe Band. This is the Pipes and Drums of The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. They are based at Fort George.
• 4 SCOTS Pipe Band. The Pipes and Drums of The Highlanders’, 4th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland. They are based in Fallingbostel, Germany.
• 2622 Sqn RAux AF. The Pipe Band of 2622 (Highland Squadron) Sqn Royal Auxiliary Air Force. This is the largely civilian band of this reserve Squadron, based at RAF Lossiemouth.
• RAF Lossiemouth. Once associated with RAF Kinloss, this largely civilian band has continued their association with the RAF by basing themselves at Lossiemouth.
• Forres Pipe Band. Forres and District Pipe Band is based in Forres,
• Highlanders ACF. The Highlanders’ Army Cadet Force band .
• Highland Youth Pipe Band. The pipers and drummers in this large band come from schools all over the Highlands.
• Gordonstoun School Pipe Band comprising students at Gordonstoun School, near Elgin,
2014 Junior Piping Competition
Meetings are held throughout most of the year apart from over Christmas and New year. Currently we meet on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday in each month. Read more >>> Why not follow what we get up to by reading our weekly blog >>>
We run a programme of recitals through the winter months. To these we invite the foremost players of the day and they are usually accompanied by a local junior piper. Read more >>>
We run an annual Junior Piping Competition and invite players from throughout the Highlands to compete. Read more >>>
We also organise and steward the Solo Piping Competition at the Inverness Highland Games on behalf of Highland Council. We pride ourselves in holding a well run competition with the aim of making the competing process as easy as it can be for pipers. Read more >>>
Annually we offer up to two junior players from the Inverness area financial assistance towards attendance at a recognised Piping Course, such as a week’s intensive piping tuition at Sabhal Mor Ostaig or a Feis. We advise any young player who may wish financial assistance, to come along to our weekly meetings on a fairly regular basis.
Why not share with us your ideas for a really good piping event >>>
web editor : Donald Shaw (email@example.com)